The Development Bank of Jamaica, through the Jamaica Venture Capital Programme (JVCP) has had a strong record of hosting world-class conferences and has been doing so since 2013 when it hosted Jamaica’s first Private Equity & Venture Capital Conference with world-renowned venture capitalist, Paul Ahlstrom of Alta Ventures in the USA. Since then the Bank has held four other successful international conferences…in 2014, when the keynote presentation was made by Harvard Professor, Dr. Josh Lerner, a renowned private equity expert, and again in 2016 and 2017.
For the 2017 conference, the JVCP collaborated with DBJ’s Public-Private Partnerships & Privatisation Division, to execute Jamaica’s first Private Equity and Infrastructure Development Conference. The 2019 Conference again recreates this successful collaboration, and is geared at highlighting the readiness and attractiveness of local investment opportunities.
The conference will bring together local, regional and international experts to discuss, deliberate on and examine key issues that will impact the continued growth of Jamaica through infrastructure development, the expansion of our emerging private equity and venture capital markets and the continued growth of the SME sector, innovation and entrepreneurship.
The delivery method is a blend of keynote presentations and fireside conversations, plenaries and roundtable discussions, workshops and market soundings, social and cultural activities and numerous networking opportunities. Appointments and business meetings are part of the mix and can be set up and arranged prior to conference.
Our conference offers exciting opportunities for everyone from the large-scale project developer and investors to the small-medium sized business enterprises to entrepreneurs and startups.
Our highly interactive and impactful conference is chockfull of activities and span three days as follow:
1:oo p.m – 5:00 p.m
Two workshops are to be facilitated by overseas experts and is aimed at industry players in the areas of PPPP and Private Equity & Venture Capital. These workshops are by invitations only and will be conducted in an information dissemination and knowledge-sharing environment. Topics to be addressed are geared to enhancing participant’s knowledge and development.
6:00 p.m – 8:30 p.m.
Our Officially opening takes place in the Grande Jamaican Suite of the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel and will feature short presentations by our Headline Sponsors and an Address by our very special guest. We are honoured to have the Hon. Minister of State in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation to be delivering the Prime Minister’s Message
On Tuesday, June 11, our first day of conference commences with an update of the DBJ’s Public-Private Partnerships & Privatisation (PPPP) and our Private Equity and Venture Capital programmes. The Hon. Dr. Nigel Clarke, Minister of Finance & the Public Service will deliver the Keynote Address to be followed with fireside conversations, plenaries and roundtable discussions on international best practices, climate resiliency, de-risking, due diligence and fundraising.
The day begins at 8:00 a.m. with registration and ends at 5:30 p.m. and will be followed by Networking Cocktails.
Who Should Attend:
Fund Managers, Investors, Large-scale project developers, policymakers, decision makers, consultants, attorneys-at-law, etc.
Concurrent Sessions – 1: Market Sounding & 2: SMEs, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Day. Delegates must select one i.e. either Market Sounding or SMEs, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Day
Join this exclusive Market Sounding session, where project sponsors will provide insights on infrastructure investment opportunities being developed in Jamaica and select Caribbean countries.
Participants will get critical information on select projects, directly from sponsors and the consultants as they discuss:
Project Range and Diversifying Risks
The projects provide potential opportunities for investors with varying risk appetites. Participants will be exposed to a wide variety of sectors and projects are at varying stages of their development life cycle. Importantly, for projects in the early planning cycle and business case development, potential investors get an early look at the proposed elements of the transaction and will be able to provide feedback to sponsors which will guide the process of successful market engagement. Other investment opportunities will involve project opportunities further along in the development cycle (near commissioning, operational). Projects include greenfield and brownfield projects which will allow private participation through a variety of mechanisms including IPOs, PPP/Concessions.
Sponsors will present projects in:
Hear Keynote Speaker, Senator Aubyn Hill speak on the role of private finance in Jamaican infrastructure development and Assemblyman Joel D A Jack, Deputy Chief Secretary and Finance from the Tobago House of Assembly, give his country’s perspective on PPPs. Diane Edwards, President of Jampro, brings the Government’s investment agency’s view on why you should invest in Jamaica and infrastructure.
Investment Opportunity Booklet
One on One Sessions
Who Should Attend?
This Market Sounding will target 150 local and international investors, project developers, multilateral institutions and Government officials to learn more about projects being prepared as investment opportunities.
Investment Opportunities and Speakers
Market sounding will include presentations from:
This Market Sounding session is limited in space, therefore conference delegates will need to register in advance.
SMEs and entrepreneurs are often time referred to as the engine of growth for the nation. In this segment of our conference our discussions will focus on the adoption of 21st century technologies under the 4th Industrial Revolution, in ensuring that Jamaica plays its part in being a competitive hub for innovative entrepreneurs. Critical to this section is the funding that is available for SMEs and Entrepreneurs. Our highly motivated panels and presenters will also delve into the Caribbean entrepreneurs and what and where growth is expected to come from. Funders/financiers will also discuss the attractiveness and readiness of the local and regional entrepreneurs.
The day’s agenda offers valuable advice and information that is not to be missed.
Who Should Attend:
Small-medium-sized businesses, innovators, entrepreneurs, business service providers/enablers and financiers (debt and equity)
Persons attending the SMEs, Innovation & Entrepreneurship Day are being asked to pay only J$12,000
Success in the digital economy is the result of intelligence, diligence, planning, tenacity, and belief, something that can be applied anywhere.
This section of our conference is targeted at innovative technology-enabled entrepreneurs, (start-ups and early stage), students of business and entrepreneurship, participants from the National Business Model Competition, corporate and public sponsors, and any other interested parties who want to expand and solidify their position in the worldwide digital economy.
We will explore modern entrepreneurship as it is practiced in Silicon Valley and how it can be adapted and in other regions of the world. Participants will be provided with hand-on experiences and have the chance to interact with our world-renowned presenters. As we enter the 4th Industrial Revolution success in the digital economy is the result of intelligence, diligence, planning, tenacity, and belief, something that can be applied anywhere.
The objective is to catalyse a culture of innovation and dynamic entrepreneurship.
Space is limited
The Jamaica Pegasus Hotel81 Knutsford Blvd, Kingston 5 Kingston Guide
“Kingston’s Preferred Hotel” is the most apt way to describe the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel.
Situated in the financial and business district of the largest English-speaking city in the Caribbean. It is within walking distance from many international offices and embassies, as well as historical sites, cultural centres, shopping areas and restaurants. This revered landmark in the capital city Kingston, the “Pegasus” as it is affectionately called, rises seventeen (17) stories high in the heart of New Kingston.
Over the past 37 years, the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel has earned the enviable reputation for superb hospitality and accommodation. “Home” to royalty, dignitaries, and celebrities, the hotel is also a constant buzz of activity for local clientele.
This “extended family” regards the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel as their first choice for major events, product launches and exhibitions, conferences and meetings, weddings and anniversary celebrations.
The Pegasus in return, is proud of its relationship with its guests and constantly goes the extra mile to ensure their comfort.
It’s no wonder then, that the Jamaica Pegasus is“Kingston’s Preferred Hotel”.
The 2019 DBJ International Conference has important information to share with all persons within the capital markets, business leaders, policy makers, entrepreneurs and startups as follows:
• June 10th, 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Official Opening Ceremony & Cocktail Reception (all are invited please indicate on Registration form if you will be attending)
• June 11 & 12 2019: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 pm. Conference Day 1 & 2 (Marketing Sounding): for Fund Managers, Investors – corporate and institutional, consultants, developers of large scale projects Cost for these 2 days is $35,000 per person Register here [Registration Form for Conference Days 1 & 2]
• June 12, 2019: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. SME & Entrepreneurs/Startups Day for business owners, entrepreneurs, startup and innovators Cost of attend 1 day only $12,000 per person Register here [Registration Form for SME/Entrepreneurs]
• The DBJ’s 2019 Conference begins with the Official Opening and Cocktail Reception on Monday, June 10th at 6:00 p.m., in the Ballroom of the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
• On Tuesday and Wednesday, June 11 and 12, the Conference begins with at 7:30 a.m., with Registration. The day’s event ends at 5:00 p.m. and will be followed immediately with a Networking Reception by the Poolside of the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel
• Please visit our website at http://www.venurecapitaljamaica.com for updates on the Conference Agenda and Speakers Gallery
• Standard registration fee is J$35,000 (US$300) per person June 10 – 12th
• Special rates for companies registering three (3) or more persons J$25,000 or US$192.00 per person
• For SMEs/Entrepreneurs day (June 12 only) the cost of J$12,000 per person
• Registration Fee covers all meals: morning coffee break, lunch and an afternoon tea break on the Pre and Post-Conference Networking Cocktails.
• The deadline for online registration is Friday, May 30 and there is also ‘walk-in’ registration on Conference Day. Please visit our Registration page or click here for more information.
We try to make it easy for conference registrants by offering multi methods of payment
• Direct payment to our Conference Bank Account at National Commercial Bank, Oxford Road Branch, Name on Account: Development Bank of Jamaica; Account No: 21-111-1313
• Online at here
• Credit and/or Debit at Development Bank of Jamaica, 11a Oxford Road, Kingston 5 between the hours of 9:00 - 4:00 p.m., Mondays to Fridays
• There is a volume discount for companies registering three (3) or more delegates to attend the Conference. Please click here or check our Registration page for more information.
• Yes please indicate on the Registration Form here that you require an invoice.
The Official Opening and Cocktails is only for paid up registrants and by invitations only.
The conference is being held at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel and they have blocked a set of rooms for overseas participants, please make your booking here. There are a number of other hotels within walking distance from the Jamaica Pegasus, (The Courtleigh, Marriott Courtyard, The Knutsford Court, The Spanish Court Hotel) please feel free to make contact with them. Please let them know that you are attending the DBJ’s Conference, as some will offer a discount.
There are no social events plans for spouses of delegates attending the Conference. Kingston is rich in history and things to do and places to go please speak with your hotel concierge or the Jamaica Tourist Board’s website at – www.visitjamaica.com
We are not able to offer students discounts to the Conference, however on Thursday, June 13 there is to be a special half-day workshop on Design Thinking and Agile Design. Space is limited and the event is specific for Tech entrepreneurs and startups. Students must however register through their universities.
• Adequate parking is provided in and around the venue. You will be directed to the designated parking areas.
• The Jamaica Pegasus is friendly to the physically-challenged.
All registrations are subject to the following cancellation policy:
- Refunds or credits will not be given for failure to attend
- Cancellation must be made in writing to the Conference Secretariat via email to email@example.com by Friday, May 31, 2019. Telephone cancellation will NOT be accepted
- Refund request must include the name of the registrant and transaction/registration number
- Refunds will be credited in accordance with the original method of payment and are subject to fees where applicable.
Registrants who are unable to attend are encouraged to exercise the option of providing a substitute participant to attend in their place. A written notification of a substitution will be accepted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before May 31, 2019. When checking in at the event, the substitute registrant must bring a copy of the online Registration Receipt or the Registration Confirmation email.
• Business attire is recommended.
• As soon as you have made payment you will receive a confirmation.
• Registered and paid-up attendees will receive the Conference materials on-site, including Conference Programme, name badge, and other conference paraphernalia. You will receive an electronic invitation to the Official Opening & Cocktail Reception.
High speed Wi-Fi is available at the Conference